Terms & Conditions
These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client (you) by me (Tina Williams of Tina Williams Editorial Support).
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- I will provide editorial services as mutually agreed and confirmed in writing by the Client (written or emailed).
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed and responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions. I am not VAT-registered.
- I agree to carry out the editorial work as set out in the quotation approved by the Client.
- I commit to carrying out work for the Client to the highest professional standard within the realm of my capabilities, training and experience. Whilst I aim for a high degree of accuracy (90-100%) in the completed work, I am unable to offer a guarantee of perfection. The Society for Editors and Proofreaders have produced a Standards in Proofreading article which explains this point in more detail.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee. However, should I foresee any delays, the Client will be informed at the earliest convenience.
- If on receipt of the manuscript to be worked on (or at an early stage), it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline. In these circumstances, the Client will be given the opportunity to approve this additional work or find an alternative service provider.
- Similarly, if during the term of the work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- The Client is under no obligation to heed the recommended changes made by me during the editorial process, but is required to fulfil payment obligations for services provided in accordance with the quotation.
- The Client (author, content creator or publisher) is responsible for final approval of the work.
- All content delivered to me from the Client for editorial services is owned by the Client.
- Any content created by me as part of the editorial process will become the copyright of the Client upon completion of the work, unless otherwise agreed.
- While I may retain records of work completed for the Client, I agree never to publish, use, share, or re-produce any or all of the Client’s work. Copyright remains with the Client during the editorial process and after the contracted work period ends.
- An invoice will be supplied to the Client with the return of the completed editorial work. Accepted forms of payment are electronic bank transfer or PayPal.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, final payment must be made by the Client within 14 days of receipt of my invoice, and no later than 30 days, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- Likewise, pre-arranged payment plans must be met according to the terms agreed with the Client prior to the commencement of the work. Such terms are also covered under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not, under any circumstances, be made known to anyone other than the Client and myself, unless otherwise authorised by the Client.
- All details pertaining to the Client and the Client’s work will remain confidential unless otherwise specified by the Client.
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- I have the right to terminate a contract for services if I feel the relationship with the Client is not productive, if the Client is using threatening or abusive language, and also if plagiarism is detected within the text.
- I agree to abide by the terms of the quotation to the best of my ability. In the unlikely event of any circumstances causing cancellation or delay of the work, the Client will be notified immediately and I will do my best to renegotiate terms or assist in finding another service provider.
- In the event of the Client cancelling the work during the editorial process, I reserve the right to invoice the Client for part or all of the work already completed. In this instance, the Client must inform me at the earliest available opportunity so we can discuss the cancellation.
This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.